/home/templeis/public_html/images/header_image/1452731962header_imageour_story.jpg.

The history of Temple Isaiah


Temple Isaiah was formally incorporated as a non-profit religious corporation under the name of Temple Isaiah of Culver City on September 12,1947.
 
Temple Isaiah’s congregation has continuously referred to itself as the Temple Isaiah Family and has, indeed, functioned as a dynamic and caring extended family, embracing all the generations of its members’ families while reaching out to the entire community with rich and wide array of religious, social action and educational services, programs and celebrations


OUR RABBIS

Rabbi Albert M. Lewis (z"l) came to Temple Isaiah in 1948 as its first Rabbi and served as its Senior Rabbi and Superintendent of its religious schools until 1979, when he retired and continued to be the Temple’s active Rabbi Emeritus until the day he passed on April 22, 1991.

Rabbi Robert T. Gan entered the Temple Family in 1969 as Associate Rabbi and became the Senior Rabbi and Superintendent of the Religious schools in 1979 after Rabbi Lewis retired.


OUR CANTORS

Cantor Robert Nadell (z"l) was the Cantor of Temple Isaiah and its Music Director from 1948 to 1988 when he retired and became Cantor Emeritus.

Cantor Evan Kent became the Cantor and Music Director of Temple Isaiah in the summer of 1988 until he made aliyah in 2013 and became Cantor Emeritus.


OUR RELIGIOUS SCHOOL DIRECTORS

Dr. Jack Horowitz (z"l) became the full-time Director of Religious school education in 1957 and retired in 1991, becoming the Director of Religious school Emeritus.

Ellen Goldberg (z"l) became the Principal of Temple Isaiah Religious School in 1991 until her retirement in 2010 after which she became Religious School Director Emeritus.