TEMPLE ISAIAH GREEN TEAM LINKS
Below are valuable links to help us leave a lighter footprint on this earth.
GREEN TEAM ORIGINALS
THE SPIRITUAL COMMUNITY
- Greening Reform Judaism: The resource rich Union of Reform Judaism (URJ) website with information about greening the home and synagogue, advocacy, Judaism and the environment, articles and books, etc.
- COEJL: National organization of Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life.
- Faith2Green: A local COEJL affiliate. Advocacy and resource group for our community.
- Sign up for LADWP Green Power: Go to the bottom of the page and click on Sign up for the Green Power Program.
- Fuel Economy: Gas mileage (MPG), greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution ratings, and safety information for new and used cars and trucks
- ENERGY STAR: Energy efficiency of appliances.
- California Interfaith Power & Light: Interfaith group "galvanizing a religious response to global warming as the moral issue of our time."
- 350: Initiates planet wide campaigns to reduce our C02 - equivalent atmospheric molecular concentration to 350 parts/million to avoid reaching an irreversible global warming tipping point.
ACTIVE PETITION AND ADVOCACY SITES
- Earthjustice: Earthjustice, a public interest law-firm protecting the earth and our right to a healthy environment.
- Recent Action Alerts-Environmental Defense Fund: EDF works to protect the environment and provide equitable and cost effective solutions to its problems.
- League of Conservation Voters: Provides environmental voting records of legislators and aids environmentally supportive candidates.
- Union of Concerned Scientists: UCS, "working for a healthy environment and a safer world...secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices and consumer choices."
- NRDC's Action Center: National Resources Defense Council's mission is to "safeguard the Earth: its people, its plants and animals and the natural systems on which all life depends."
- Sierra Club Action Center: A 1.3 million member group that explores, enjoys and protects our planet.
- La Green Machine: "A coalition of Angelenos committed to actively initiating and supporting green, sustainable and environmental justice education and advocacy in Los Angeles and California." A blog initiated by Andy Shrader, whose day job is Environmental and Sustainability Deputy to Councilman Paul Koretz.
OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS
- The Nature Conservancy: "dedicated to preserve...the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive."
- Californians for GE-Free Agriculture: Group campaigning for genetic engineering free agriculture.
- Wilderness Society: Devoted to preserving America's wilderness- its biological diversity, clean air and water, towering forests, rushing rivers and...silent deserts.
- Factory Farming Awareness Coalition: "...an educational non-profit committed to empowering people to save the environment, animals and our own health through our daily food choices."
- Heal the Bay: Dedicated to preserving our rivers, beaches and oceans.
- Food & Water Watch: "...works to ensure the food, water and fish we consume are safe, accessible and sustainably produced."
- The Center for Biological Diversity: Works "to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction."
- The Environmental Working Group: "Mission...is to use the power of public information to protect public health and the environment."
- Center for Environmental Health: "...protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business products and practices that are safe for public health and the environment."
- News I Grist: News, articles, audio downloads, on almost anything environmental that you can think of. To quote them, "It's gloom and doom with a sense of humor."
- Environmental News- MSNBC: "Latest global warming and conservation headlines from across the globe."
- NPR: Climate Connections: Articles and broadcasts about global warming.
- Green Energy News: News about clean, efficient and renewable energy: technology, issues, policy and business.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
OTHER SUGGESTED LINKS
- Green Guide: A guide or everyday living with lots of articles that is part of the National Geographic family of publications.
RECOMMENDED READINGS- BEGINNER'S PRIMERS
- "The Solution is You: An Activists Guide" by Laurie David
- "Low Carbon Diet" or "A 30 Day Program to Lose 5000 lbs" by David Gershon
- "All the Way to the Ocean" by Joel Harper